The process of new product development is not an easy process for the company and requires many additional activities which the company should do. It is built of mutually influencing each other actions that without proper structuring, planning, prioritization and implementation can become inefficient. The process of organizing consists of a set of tasks to accomplish, transformation of the general tasks, determination of the attorney’s power and accountability, and selection of people responsible for carrying out the particular tasks. The procedure for the development of a new product depends on many factors: business, industry, type of product. The management of the company which should support and monitor the process plays an important role in both the planning and organizing.
Literature lists the following actions and activities that belong to structuring:
- selection and adaptation stages of the NPD general phases (the possibility of the PNPD architecture diagram application),
- setting stages goals of the PNPD general phases (ability to use maps for concrete steps and diagrams of work),
- defining the needs of customers (the ability to use maps of targets for specific stages, market analysis and knowledge of product specifications),
- the selection and matching the needs of defined customers groups, elements of developing product (the possibility to define users’ needs and working diagrams),
- identify the main elements of a new product that meets the needs of customers,
- identification of requirements for the IT tools supporting the process of NPD (possibility of planning assumptions sheets project program implementation),
- the choice of techniques and design tools (the ability to apply project planning assumptions sheets),
- the choice of software and the necessary computer equipment (hardware),
- define standards and procedures for the design (the possibility to apply project planning assumptions sheets),
- selection of the tools and techniques of project management (the possibility to apply project planning assumptions sheets),
- determining the reporting procedures (the possibility of project planning assumptions sheets),
- define procedures for solving problems (the possibility of project planning assumptions sheets),
- the use of the risk level estimates (the possibility of using a questionnaire to assess the project risk level),
- formulate the strategy for risk management (the possibility to apply the portfolio methods of project’s risk assessment, the expected monetary value technique, Monte Carlo simulation, decision tree, expert methods),
- determination of thresholds – checkpoints of identification and quantification of project risk (the possibility to implement stages control sheets in the DNP cycle),
- adaptation of the PNPD revision (possibility of a selection sheet and revision of projects),
- the choice of assessment measure of project revision points,
- determine the level of the advisory PNPD involvement,
- determination of the project decomposition,
- defining roles and scope of duties,
- creation of the project organizational structure,
- build a matrix of responsibilities,
- procedure adaptation of the DNP management process changes,
- develop an integrated plan of action.
Activities relating to the planning of the project include as follows:
- adjusting the schedules of work plan (the possibility of using work schedule templates, the division of and grouping of tasks),
- to determine the relationship between the PNPD tasks (possibility of using the working diagram),
- estimate the tasks,
- adjustment of the tasks’ estimate at the project risk level,
- allocating the required resources,
- develop a schedule,
- harmonization of detailed plans,
- modifying and adapting an integrated NPD plan.
Application of a structured and planned PNPD produces many benefits for the company. The company becomes a learning organization, optimizes internal processes related to the logistics and production, implements and facilitates communication and decision-making processes, reveals the source of costs and tends to lower them. With all these activities the company becomes more competitive and aware of their strengths and weaknesses.
The use of structured NPD and practices associated with it generates numerous and significant benefits that lead to an increase in the efficiency of the NPD. It should be emphasized that there are also areas which are worth considering and take efforts to generate more flexible solutions.